Well Jeremy and I have been going to bed really late because of my new blogging/cooking obsession. I wish I could say that it is because I spend a lot of time planning meals and drafting blog entries, but I have to admit that I have spent an embarrassing amount of time attempting to read HTML to erase the floating “home” button at the bottom of the blog. It throws off my whole aesthetic. At any rate, I made the command decision to start dinner early so I could get a head start on translating blogspot hieroglyphics.
Instead of listening to re-runs of Bones, I put on some music and started reading through the recipe for this evening’s tasty treat. Luckily I had everything on hand that I needed (unlike last night) for Meatballs with Couscous and Feta, but I had some serious doubts about this one. Sometimes you can tell what a meal is going to taste like or what the inspirational origin of the meal is by reading the list of ingredients. That was not the case on this puppy. I saw what appeared to be a variable grab bag of foods. A bass-o-matic, if you will. I’ve seen potpourri ingredients that had more continuity than this recipe. Seriously, Real Simple?!?! Beef, onions, apricots, cucumbers, tomatoes, lemons and couscous. I had the ominous feeling that I would have to eat mayonnaise again to make up for this one.
I was certain we were headed for disaster and a frozen pizza dinner when I realized I had to use a soup spoon and spoon holder as a mortar and pestle to grind coriander seeds (always read the shopping list carefully. Coriander seed is not the same as ground coriander.) As we have gone through this week, I have begun to make a kitchen gadget wish-list (mostly small things… literally. Bigger gadgets are apparently not always better gadgets.) I know I know. We were just given TONS of kitchen goodies, but I didn’t know what I was registering for when we were aimlessly wandering through Bed Bath and Beyond. That would be like telling Jeremy to go stock up on purses and throw pillows for the house (though I’m sure he would arrive home with some very lovely camo euro shams.) I mention this only because today I realized that our kitchen is sorely lacking a spice grinder. There is no substitute—especially a spoon and spoon holder—though it’s okay to be impressed with my resourcefulness.
After bending and mashing the coriander to my will, I began to organize the culinary anarchy as instructed, and, to my surprise, it started to smell really good. That may have been due to the coriander seeds I accidentally catapulted into my nose during the “grinding” process, but I was impressed all the same. The rest of the preparation went off without a hitch. Jeremy did look a little puzzled when he arrived home and I had chopped, dried apricots lying next to onions and cucumbers. You would be surprised how far a “Trust me on this one, sweetheart” will get you when say it with absolute confidence. I will admit that I still had my doubts as I was drizzling the olive oil and lemon dressing on the tomatoes, beef and cucumbers. All I can do is thank Grilled Cheezus that this meal was a hit because Jeremy may never have trusted me again.
After today’s successful smorgasbord, I will definitely put more faith in unconventional recipes (much to Jeremy’s dismay I’m sure.) I will also be using one of our gift cards to purchase a spice grinder. Much like the metallic confetti from my sixth grade new year’s party that we still find buried behind furniture at Dad’s house, we will be finding coriander seeds all over the house until the Rapture.

No comments:
Post a Comment