Nothing says “We kicked the crap out of UT” like a steaming platter of panko-crusted pork with spicy Asian noodles. I guess standing on my balcony and yelling “We kicked the crap out of UT” would be the best way to say that, but Real Simple said it was spicy noodle night—so jalapeno and ginger pasta will be my victory cry this evening.
I’ll be honest. The most advance Asian dish I have ever made was white rice from the Panda Palace down the street that I reheated, transforming it into a congealed lump. So, when Real Simple said I was going to be making spicy ginger pasta, I had my doubts. I almost punted to one of our reserve frozen pizzas, but if Bob Stoops was going to fake a field goal on 4 and 8, then I could risk forcing my husband to eat pork hockey pucks and pungent pasta. In the end the pork turned out better than the fake field goal. In fact, I was really impressed with myself; dinner was delicious!
Maybe I’m a vapid people-pleaser, but there is no more satisfying moment in my day than when Jeremy nods his head and say, “Oh yeah. Just right,” after taking a bite of my made-from-scratch dinner. I spend the better part of most days feeling like I’m not working fast enough, smart enough or hard enough, so satisfying Jeremy’s sometimes-finicky palate is regularly my only weekday source of self-efficacy. One of my fears when I started was that I would be so exhausted after work that I would dread putting on my apron and opening up the cookbook. What I’ve found is that I can’t wait to put on my Kiss the Cook apron (with pink ruffles at the hem of course) because I will soon be handing my husband a plate of spicy noodles that will make him smile. It’s funny how I feel most successful after doing the thing I think I’m worst at. Aunt Linda, that’s irony.
In short—Both Bob and I won our battles today. His day ended with a golden cowboy hat trophy and the satisfaction of knowing that I get to smile smugly at my Longhorn co-workers for a year (because I know Bob is concerned my workplace relationships.) My day is ending with an OU win and a happy, full husband. I’d argue that I had the better day.
Oh, and...

A beautifully decorated blog page - very ROYAL!! Sounds like you guys had a great meal. BOOMER SOONER!
ReplyDelete