As many of you know, I will eat Mexican food three times a day if given the option. However, until today the most Mexican I could muster in the kitchen was Rotel dip. Not exactly gourmet fare that’s going to have my husband bookin’ it home from work. When we are jonesing for a chimichanga we have always had to go down the road to Torchy’s Tacos. Though Torchy’s is very reasonably priced (how much can you really make someone pay for the Dirty Sanchez taco,) it can become a very expensive habit. Today I made a large step forward in springing us from our Mexican food prison. I made Chorizo and Potato Tacos with Black Bean Salsa—and it was muy good!
The recipe was very simple and tasty, so I DEFINITELY recommend it. The great thing about making dinner tonight was the realization that I can make the food that I thought we could only get if we ate out. It may sound silly, but that came with a bizarre sense of freedom. I’m no longer locked into 100 dollar dinners or held hostage by mayo-laden menus. I can now cook sour cream-free enchiladas and chili rellenos until the vacas come home! Dios mio, I see a Weight Watchers membership in my future.
THE BEST Mexican cookbook writer is Diana Kennedy. Start with her “From My Mexican Kitchen, Techniques and Ingredients.” Maybe after you reach your Real Simple goal... way to stick to it, btw.
ReplyDelete